Types of beetles
- Carpet beetles
- Wood-boring beetles
- Pantry beetles
- Stink beetles
Dung beetles carry some microbes that make humans sick, but they also destroy them, so presence of dung beetles is ultimately a good thing for public health. Dung beetles do not bite or attack humans and cannot transmit diseases in that way.
Did you know?
- Beetles can be found anywhere except for cold regions.
- Adult beetles have two sets of wings.
- Beetles have many strategies such as camouflage, toxic properties, and fighting defenses when being attacked by predators.
- Beetles play a vital role in the ecosystems they live in because they feed mainly on debris from plants and animals.
- Ladybugs are one type of beetle that helps to control pest populations by feeding on aphids that eat vegetable plants.
- Beetles that feed on vegetables, grains and fruit can cost farmers millions in pesticides.
- Dung beetles are very important because they feed on animal droppings, so they recycle waste material and speed up the circulation of the nutrients back into the food chain.