Most bird species are considered a nuisance for businesses and gain entry into premises through damaged roofing.
Pigeons, Seagulls, Sparrows and other species have become a massive problem for buildings, residents, the health conscious as well as farmers.
Bird infestation is associated with acidic droppings, disease, lice, noise, property damage, product-loss and many more.
The most common pest-bird in Cape Town is the Starling bird:
- Starlings are boisterous, loud, and they travel in large flocks. Starlings nest in suitable holes and crevices in houses (roofs), buildings and trees.
- Males establish territories and choose nest sites, then attract females.
- The nest is an untidy collection of grasses, bark strips, twigs, and other debris.
- Their droppings may cause components of steel buildings to degrade and lead to significant structural damage. A potential health risk arises from soil enriched with starling droppings, which promotes fungal growth and lead to diseases.
- Bird droppings onto goods stored in infested areas can make the products unsellable.
- They continue to make noises (especially at night) in your attic and leave an unrecognisable smell in your house. They also carry bird mites which poses a health threat to your family.
Bird proofing requires the use of reliable, professional bird deterrents to ensure an effective, long term solution to any bird control problem.